'Urdhva' mens 'Upwards', 'Dhanu'
refers to a 'bow'. This exercise can be done in two stages which is
1. Lie down with face upward, bend the knees so that the feet
touch the hips.
2. Exhale, raise the back and trunk slowly as shown in
the figure. The head and neck should rest on the floor (refer Fig. 82.0).
3. Hold in this posture for about 15 to 20 seconds with
4. Slowly come back to the normal position and relax.
5. This is the first phase of Urdhva Dhanurasana.
Once this exercise is well parctised the following stage will be performed
6. In this stage, continue to raise back and trunk so
that the crown of the head should touch the ground (refer Fig. 82.1).
1. This exercise helps to cure back pain and also pain
in the region of neck.
2. Joint pain in the region of knees and in the region
of legs are cured.
3. This exercise develops concentration and
control of mind.