SARVANGASANA: (Shoulder Stand Posture)
The name itself suggests that in this exercise the entire
body is activated. Because of this reason it is termed as Sarvangasana.
Those who are acquainted with Viparitha Karni can easily perform this exercise.
The precautions explained in Viparitha Karni hold well for this exercise also.
This is one of the important yogic practices in Hatha yoga. This is much
more strenuous and difficult as compared to Viparitha Karni.
1. Resume the posture of Viparitha
Karni (refer Fig.
55.0) and then slowly raise the hips still higher so that the entire back is
perpendicular to the ground and the chin is pressed against the chest.
Legs should be straight. (refer Fig. 56.0).
2. Few people experience watering in the eyes. In
such cases, they are advised to practice by closing eyes. Hold for about a
minute and slowly bend the legs down.
3. Relax completely for about a minute.
Precaution: It is to be done once only. Those who
are suffering from high blood pressure and heart ailment should start practice
only with the consultation of the yoga master.
Performing this exercise gives
several benefits since the entire body is in action. The entire body is
activated and the complete body system is toned up.
1. Those who are suffering from eyesight defects, this
exercise helps considerably.
2. Due to increased supply of blood to the brain the
students must perform this exercise which gives increased memory power and
3. The problems in the area of thyroid glands are
4. The pains in the region of leg and diseases of the
nervous system are eliminated.
5. Arrests premature aging, gives youthfulness and
vigor and serves as a beautification tool.
6. This is the best exercise for those who are
suffering from ovarian problems. Ensures the good functioning of
sexual and reproductive organs. people suffering from impotency are
advised to practice this exercise without fail.
7. Executive's stress is cured. Practicing this
exercise relieves anxiety due to stress.
8. Helps to cure insomnia and mental depression.
9. It helps to cure constipation, gastric disorders and