'Paschima' refers to 'West' .
In this exercise the spinal chord gets more exercise and becomes more elastic.
'Paschima' here refers to the 'Dorsal or backside'. 'Thana' means
stretch. The name itself suggests that the back is stretched very
1. Sit on the ground with extended leg forward (as fig
The legs and thighs should remain straight. Slowly bend
forward and hold the big toes with hands. (refer Fig. 38.0).
2. Exhale slowly and bend the head and trunk downwards
till it touches the knee. Hold in this position about 20 seconds with
3. Ensure to bold the toes while exercise is in
process. The legs should remain straight and touched to the ground (refer
4. Inhale slowly and raise the head from th knees and
come back to the original position.
1. Since the stomach is exercised heavily, it removes
obesity. For obese people though it appears to be difficult to perform in
the initial stage, but with gradual practice one can easily perform this
2. This exercise tones up the spine, nerve system and
abdominal area. As such problems in the area of spine, nervous system and
abdomen are cured.
3. This exercise activates stomach, liver, kidneys and
pancreas. The diabetic people invariably perform this exercise in order to
get good benefit.
4. Practicing this exercise helps to better blood
circulation and problems in prostate gland, uterus and urinary bladder will be
5. This is an effective exercise for those who are
suffering from kidney problems.
6. This exercise helps to cur skin disease and cures
pains in the region of the spine and back.
7. This exercise is particularly helpful to those who
are short tempered and agitated, mentally depressed and those who are suffering
from high blood pressure.
8. Performing this exercise helps to increase vitality
and cures impotency.
9. This exercise effectively cures constipation and