PADMASANA: (The Lotus Position)
It is true meditation posture, which
gives utmost mental concentration and equilibrium. Though it appears to
be the simple form, the correct practice of Padmasana gives enlightenment to
the mind and body. The posture is in the form of "jnana mudra" which
represents the source of knowledge. The index represents the individual
soul and the thumb represents the universe.
1. For all the sitting exercises, one has to sit on the
clean carpet floor.
2. Be seated and stretch both the legs in front to
ensure that the spine is straight and firm. Concentrate on a
particular object, keep the hands down on the floor. Breathe in normal
a position (refer Fig. 20.0).
3. The left foot is to be placed on the right thing and
right foot on the left thing. Ensure that the heels are pressed against
the lower part of the abdomen. In case of difficulty, try to ;bring them
to the neares5t part of the abdomen. Stretch both the hands and make a
circular shape with the thumb and index finger. Stretch the remaining
fingers and keep them firmly and then place then he right wrist on the right
knee and left wrist on the left knee.
4. The arms and hands should be tight. The
fingers should be pointing to the ground (refer Fig. 20.1).
5. Hold in this posture for about 2 or 3 minutes with
uniform breathing. It will be an added advantage to meditate in this
posture. Better to close the eyes while meditating.
6. Once meditating is completed, open the eyes slowly
and gradually. Loosen the fingers of both the hands. Then slowly
lift the right leg with help of hand and place the same on the floor in order to
come back to original position refer Fig. 20.0). After break of few
seconds repeat the process be alternating the legs.
1. As it is called "Jnana Mudra" the most beneficial
use is to give physically and mental stabili5ty, concentration and awareness.
2. It helps to cure the stiffness of the knees
and joints and also cures rheumatic pain.
3. Helps to reduce fat in the region of things
4. It has good effect on the nervous system of the
5. Substantial benefits will be obtained by practicing
this exercise for those suffering from leg and body pain.