MAYURASANA: (Peacock Posture)
1. Kneel on the floor with the knees apart. Place
the head and chest slightly forward. Place the palms on the ground so that
fingers point towards the feet. Elbows kept firmly pressed against navel
point of the abdomen (refer Fig. 33.0).
2. Now stretch the legs backward and lower the head in
order to touch the ground and simultaneously raise both legs from the ground.
The entire body will be supported on the palms (refer Fig. 33.1).
3. Ensure that the whole body remains stretched and the
breathing is normal.
4. Ensure that the head and legs are in one line or the
entire body is horizontal to the ground.
5. Practice this exercise for 5 to 10 seconds and once
well practiced the time may be increased to 30 seconds.
This exercise is difficult to
perform and hence it is better to practice this exercise under the guidance of a
Note: People suffering from high bl9od pressure,
reddish eyes and possessing a weak heart should not practice this exercise.
Few people may experience severe body pain or nasal bleeding while performing
1. Practicing this exercise gives enough body
equilibrium and concentration of mind.
2. This exercise provides increased supply of blood to
the digestive system and hence it cures all the digestive disorders.
Constipation is cured immediately.
3. Due to the circulation of blood there will be an
improvement in eyesight.
4. Performing this exercise helps to make hands and
shoulders very strong and hence it is recommended to athletes and sportsmen.
5. Regular practice of this exercise helps to cure
6. By practice this exercise the problems of
liver, pancreas and kidneys are cured. Those who are suffering from
diabetes due to the malfunctioning 0f pancreas will definitely get rid of this
7. Performing this exercise helps to dill all the
toxins in the body.
8. This helps to strengthen forearms and wrists and
elbows and it cures joints pain.
9. It cures all abdominal disorders.